First Principles of Conservatism
We conservatives are sometimes misunderstood and frequently misrepresented by those on the left, including mainstream media and by others with a political agenda that run diametrically opposed to what we believe and stand for. So what do we believe? What do we stand for? Let's have a look.
- We believe in God, our almighty creator, the ultimate source of love and good in the world.
- We believe that all humans were created equal, in God's image, with his divine spirit and that all human life is sacred.
- We believe that we are a reflection of God's spirit on Earth and it is our duty to promote good and confront evil wherever it is found.
- We do not believe it is our right, or calling, to force a particular religion or viewpoint on others.
- We believe that the founders of America were intelligent, perhaps divinely inspired, in their principles that were codified in the American Constitution.
- We believe in absolute truth, and justice based on that truth which is sought out above all else. We believe that only one's peers may lawfully adjudicate any loss of rights, property, or life under the law.
- We believe that everyone should be treated equally under the law, and everyone should be respected for the individuals that they are, regardless of race, sex, creed, etc. We also acknowledge and respect our biological differences.
- We believe in free speech. Everyone should have the freedom to express their thoughts and opinions, regardless of how others may feel about those opinions.
- We believe that every human has the right to protect and defend their lives, the lives of their families, and others from attack or oppression, with deadly force if necessary. And we believe that the means of that force should be readily available to deter such attack or oppression.
- We believe that private property rights are essential to freedom and the improvement and cultivation of that property for the betterment of all, and that property may not be seized or transferred without consent. We also believe this is the best way to cultivate and protect our ecological and environmental resources.
- We believe everyone should have the economic freedom to serve the needs of their fellow citizens without undue government prohibition or restriction.
- We believe the only legitimate function of government is to protect the rights of it's citizens.
- We believe that government power should be tightly constrained and limited, lest it break free from those bounds, driven by the human desire for power over others, which will inevitably usurp the rights of it's citizens.
If you believe in most or all of these principles, you may be a conservative. Don't be fooled by those with political agendas who misrepresent what we conservatives believe. Ultimately, we believe in the principles of freedom: individual, economic, and spiritual.